Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cloth Diapering

It's time for an update on how it's going with cloth diapers... I've loved using them for a few reasons:

1. comfort for Abigail. She has had no diaper rashes when using cloth. She has had a 2 rashes but it's always when we've used disposable diapers and wipes (on vacations). The chemicals irritate her skin I think.

2. it's cheap. My mom and I made them for about $6 each. We've spent a little over $100 on the whole collection which is only 4 months of 'sposies'. (obviously very rough math since it depends on size, brand, and use of diapers) We use cloth wipes too. Which were bought on discount or sewn from a second hand receiving blanket.

3. It saves all kinds of environmental harm. Less dipes in the landfill, yada, yada.

So what do I have to do? I put the wipes in the warmer. Some people roll them or fold them all fancy. Not me. Hmm, although, I guess I do try and stack every other: flannel and terry. That way if I need a thinner softer one or a good 'ole get-the-job-done one I can grab either.
The red bottle? You fill it with water (about 2 cups?), add a quick squirt of baby soap (about 2 teaspoons?), and add a long squirt of baby oil (again about 2 teaspoons?). The oil squeezes harder, that's why you have to do it longer. Shake it up and squirt it on your stacked wipes and they'll warm up and smell so nice.

Now, it's time to use the diaper! Then, when it's been "used" just fold the Velcro tabs in on the sides (so they don't stick to stuff in the washer) and pull out the inserts and throw it all in the wet bag (which just means a dry waterproof hamper bag that can hold wet items). No dirty hands!
This diaper was actually a wet one. Aren't the purple and pink tractors cute?! Derek helped me pick out the fabric. It's micro fleece inside to be soft and wicking and it's waterproof PUL (the purple) on the outside.

Laundry day (every 2-3 days): take the wet bag and empty it into the washer, pushing the contents out of the wet bag so that the bag turns inside out. Wash that too. I still have clean hands! Prewash, normal wash (hot, not extra hot), rinse (maybe a second rinse if you added too much soap, we do 1/4 of the soap with our front loader) and you're done.

Hang it all on a rack, toss in the dryer, or hang on clothes lines so the sun bleaches out the stains. I usually machine dry the inserts and wipes and hang dry the diapers because they dry instantly since they're synthetic.

Fold the inserts; which are really microfiber car washing towels! Fold 2 together into thirds.
It doesn't take long at all, then stuff them so they're ready!
Look at those beauties!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, and thirty years after my youngest was born, I still have a diaper PIN left over in my junk drawer!
    /svm

    ReplyDelete