Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Running Bib and Medal Holder

Since we were expecting a baby at the end of October, I felt a big push to try and get birthday gifts and even as many Christmas gifts completed (and wrapped) as I could before he arrived. Here is one gift I made for the runners in our family:


It is like a running plaque that you can hang on the wall to collect all your bibs and medals. I'd seen the idea here on Etsy (via Pinterest) first and I just knew I could replicate it for less than $28! 


I made them at the kitchen table while Abigail played with all the couch cushions and stuffed animals right next to me so it really didn't take too long. 

You need: 
  • tacks (that you use on a corkboard)
  • wood (at least 8.5"x11") or buy the wooden pieces at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 like I did -- they are even beveled!
  • paint (non-glossy if you want the distressed look)
  • paint brush or foam brush
  • sandpaper
  • hooks that screw in (I used 2 "L" shaped ones for the bib and 6 round ones for the medals)
  • hanging bracket for the backside
  • (optional) vinyl and Cricit to make a stencil
I had all the materials except the wood. Well, we do have lots of scrap pieces of wood but I didn't think OSB would be nice and particle board is so heavy that I was fine with being lazy using the little pieces from Hobby Lobby. So here is what I did:
  • stick tacks into the back so it will sit off the table while you paint the top and sides
  • lightly sand the board and wipe clean with a dry cloth
  • paint it and let dry
  • remove the tacks
  • sand the corners to distress it a little
  • install your hanger on the back (or just drill a hole... make sure it's centered!)
  • plan where your hooks will go and make holes (use an actual drill to make a hole if your wood is super tough like particle board or use a nail... or a ball point pen like I did on that soft pine!)
  • screw in all the hooks by hand
  • paint your words (I cheated and used my Cricut to cut out a vinyl stencil and then painted it that way)
  • I don't plan on sealing it because it will be up on the wall away from little hands and will only get used to "collect" bibs and medals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment