Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Strange Visitor

We had been playing outside all evening and Abbi and I headed inside to do the typical bath and bed. Derek stayed working outside. I could tell something was up when I could see a vehicle parked in front of our house and it wasn't moving on. It was dusk so it was easier to see me upstairs in the bathroom. I heard the doorbell ringing but I couldn't leave a child in the tub alone! I ended up calling Derek on his cel phone to come and get the front door. 

What had happened: a neighbor driving by saw a Great Blue Heron wander into our open garage and was trying to alert us. Ha! I quickly finished up bath time and brought Abbi down to watch the bird. 
 He was stubborn. Derek tried to "drive" him out with a golf club (great pun huh!) but he didn't care. He jumped and climbed all over our stuff, countertops and finally the shelf. He eventually wandered out the back door and through the neighbors' backyards. All of which made me yelp with excitement, which made Abigail cry. Poor girl. Wet and scared... it took her awhile to stop shaking. 
 Then about an hour later.... da-da-dum... we heard rustling on the front porch and he was back! 
 We think he slept here, on our bench, the rest of the night. Strange visitor huh!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment